History of the Veterans of Foreign Wars
The VFW traces its roots back to 1899 when veterans of the Spanish-American War
(1898) and the Philippine Insurrection (1899-1902) founded local
organizations to secure rights and benefits for their service: Many
arrived home wounded or sick. There was no medical care or veterans'
pension for them,and they were left to care for themselves.
In their misery, some of these veterans banded together and formed
organizations with what would become known as the Veterans of Foreign
Wars of the United States. After chapters were formed in Ohio, Colorado
and Pennsylvania, the movement quickly gained momentum. By 1915,
membership grew to 5,000; by 1936, membership was almost 200,000.
Since then, the VFW's voice had been instrumental in establishing
the Veterans Administration, creating a GI bill for the 20th century,
the development of the national cemetery system and the fight for
compensation for Vietnam vets exposed to Agent Orange and for veterans
diagnosed with Gulf War Syndrome. In 2008, VFW won a long-fought victory
with the passing of a GI Bill for the 21st Century, giving expanded
educational benefits to America's active-duty service members, and
members of the Guard and Reserves, fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The VFW also has fought for improving VA medical centers services for women veterans.
Besides helping fund the creation of the Vietnam, Korean War, World
War II and Women in Military Service memorials, the VFW in 2005 became
the first veterans' organization to contribute to building the new
Disabled Veterans for Life Memorial, which opened in November 2010.
Annually, the nearly 2 million members of the VFW and its
Auxiliaries contribute more than 8.6 million hours of volunteerism in
the community, including participation in Make A Difference Day and
National Volunteer Week.
From providing over $3 million in college scholarships and savings
bonds to students every year, to encouraging elevation of the Department
of Veterans Affairs to the president's cabinet, the VFW is there.
History of the Darien VFW Post 2838
The Darien VFW began in 1985 by a group of veterans who wanted to continue to serve their fellow veterans, members of the armed forces still serving, their families and the Darien-area community. Since that time, the post grew by assuming members from the Burr Ridge, Westmont, and Hinsdale VFW posts as they consolidated their operations.
The Darien VFW has provided tens of thousands of hours in community and veterans service along with hundreds of thousands of dollars in support of VFW programs, and community outreach and veterans assistance projects. Through partnerships with Hines VA hospital, the post began an ice cream social at Hines providing much needed respite to the veterans receiving medical treatment at the center. Additionally, the Post chartered Boy Scout Troop 97 in Darien helping the Troop over the past 20+ years to advance and recognize over 20 young men to the rank of Eagle Scout.
Today, the Darien VFW continues the same missions it has over the past 30 years. One of our original Charter Members, Earl McMahon, is still an active member of the post today. The Post partners with the Darien Lion's Club, the Darien Chamber of Commerce, Hinsdale South High School, Westmont High School, Lace School, Eisenhower Jr. High School, the Darien Park District, and many other local organizations to provide community service hours and dollars in Darien and the surrounding communities. Also, the Darien VFW actively supports the VFW National Home for Children who supports the families of VFW eligible service members and veterans in a time of need with housing, education, and job seeking assistance.
To find out all of what our Post does, please contact us. If you are a VFW eligible veteran and want to continue to serve veterans, service members, their families, and the community, click on Membership under the About tab at the top to become a member today.